Welcome to the TOPs 80s Blog.

Welcome Back to the 80s. Re-live the Performances! The Music, The Fashion, The Magazines, The TV Shows, The Hair!

Wednesday 1 July 2020

Janet Jackson

                                       Image may contain: 1 person, closeup

”We are a nation with no geographic boundaries, bound together through our beliefs. We are like-minded individuals, sharing a common vision. Pushing toward a world rid of colour lines.” (Janet Jackson 1989)
After recent events in America concerning the murder of George Floyd, it seems we still need to keep pushing, only harder and more determined than ever before!
In 1984 it was announced that Janet Jackson was joining the cast of “Fame”. All I knew about Janet at that time was that she was Michael Jackson’s little sister but as I loved “Fame” so much and as with the other cast members I set out to learn more.
To my surprise I discovered that she had already released 2 albums, her 1982 self titled debut and her 1984 “Dream Street” album. Neither had charted in the U.K. and were difficult to find but I did track them down. Janet had hated being on “Fame” and only did a dozen episodes and left as quickly as she could.

                                    Image may contain: 1 person, selfie and closeup
However that was long enough for me to become a fan.
In 1986 “Fame” had ended in the U.K. even though there were new episodes being made in America. The final episode here a concert special was aired in January 1986. A couple of months later in March Janet (Miss Jackson if you’re Nasty!) was sailing up the charts with her first single from new album, which would be her first U.K. top 40 hit and the start of her accent to mega stardom.
I first saw the “Control” album in the Virgin Megastore in Birmingham on import from America at twice the price of a normal U.K. album. It hadn’t officially been released here at that point but I was already addicted so had to have it. That was the start of a huge collection of Janet memorabilia that grew and grew throughout the 90s and early 00s. Every month I would by Record Collector magazine and go through circling anything listed for Janet, which led me to discovering the wonderful World of record fairs and I made a number of Janet pen pals from around the World.
With no internet at this point it was difficult keeping up with “Fame” and its cast and my love for Janet became a substitute.

                                      Image may contain: one or more people and closeup

1989 brought “Rhythm Nation 1814” which for years became my favourite album. Although the album reached number 4 on the U.K. charts none of the 7 singles made it any higher than number 15 and weren’t as big as I thought they deserved to be.
1993 brought the “janet.” album which did bring greater success. When an album was released I would book the day off from work, go out and buy the album early and then spend all day listening and enjoying the new music. At times we had to wait up to 4 years between albums and getting one was like receiving a letter from an old friend.
1997 Janet released “The Velvet Rope” album, which felt like an incredibly personal album and one that really touched me. It soon became my favourite Janet album ever and has stayed that way ever since.
For me Janet continued the themes that made “Fame” so special to me. Her “Control message felt similar to Fame’s “believe in yourself” and the messages from “Rhythm Nation 1814” about equality, unity and prejudice had always been part of the ethos of “Fame”. The energy and the dancing was the icing on the cake.
I first saw Janet live on 1990s “Rhythm Nation” tour. I planned to go to both London and Birmingham but the dates got postponed by a month so I couldn’t do London, thankfully she added an extra night in Birmingham for my Birthday. I’ve travelled round the U.K. to see Janet on tour many times after that.

                                   Image may contain: one or more people

After she canceled her 2001 all for you tour and the infamous “Wardrobe Malfunction” at the Super bowl, Janet’s career in the U.K. declined. Not helped by the cancellation of her 2016 “Unbreakable” tour.
Still for me that period from 1986 to 2004 was a Janet filled extravaganza unrivaled by any other musical artist and I was a part of Janet’s Rhythm Nation, with people United through Poetry, Music, and Dance.
“In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us. Don’t let your eyes deceive you”. (Janet Jackson 1989)

No comments:

Post a Comment